Create a bootable USB drive for macOS X versions including El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. If you download it from other source make sure it still ‘untouched’ And you need a USB flash drive, 8GB is enough for creating a bootable USB installer for macOS Sierra and High Sierra. Note! If you want to create the installer for El Capitan you will need a 16GB USB stick. Okay, below is guide how to do it by yourself. Once the USB drive has been reformatted, change the name of the USB to “High sierra”. Install the High Sierra installer with Terminal. Once the high sierra installer file has been placed in the USB, open up the terminal application in order to create a boot disk. If you have unplugged the USB in which the High Sierra installer is placed.
To create a MacOS High Sierra bootable USB drive, you would need to follow some steps:
First all you are needed to fulfill some needs.
- You need a USB that has a storage of at least 16 GB as this space will be used to store the bootable MacOS High Sierra installer.
- The MacOS High Sierra installer is a file that has a size of more than 5GB. So, you are required to have a good and stable internet connection in order to download this file quickly.
- You need to have an external hard drive in which you can keep a backup of all the data that is currently stored on your Mac. This hard drive should be of the same size as of your Mac’s hard drive.
Create a backup
Once you have fulfilled all the requirements, you would need to start the process by backing up your data.
Before backing up the data, it is recommended that you use a cleaning application that would clean your Mac because overtime lots of junk files would stack up in your Mac and once you install the new Mac OS, it would not perform to its full capacity because of the existence of such files.
You can manually delete these files, but it would take you lots of time to locate these files. It is recommended for you to use a cleaning application like cleanmymac x.
Cleanmymac x is a popular cleaning application that would remove blocks of junk data from your Mac in just a few clicks.
- The first step to carry out is to install cleanmymac x application.
- Once the application has been installed, open it.
- When the application has been launched, you will be greeted with a welcome page.
- At the bottom of this page, you will see a scan button.
- Press this scan button. Now cleanmymac x would begin to Search and delete all of your junk files. After this it will run a protection scan to Search and remove all the malware from your Mac. At last, a speed test would run, which will state how much the performance of your Mac has improved after removal of the junk files.
- Through this simple way, you can remove large junk files from your Mac.
Cleanmymac x won’t be able to find duplicate folders on your Mac, due to which you would need to use another application.
Gemini is an application that would remove all the duplicate files and folders from your Mac.
- Firstly, install the Gemini application.
- When this application has been installed, open it.
- Once the application has launched, press on the smart cleanup option.
- Now Gemini will find and remove all the duplicate files and folders that cease to exist in your Mac.
- Gemini also allows you to see how many duplicate files and folders exist on your Mac by pressing on the review results option.
Once you have cleaned your Mac, begin the backup process.
- Plug in the external hard drive into your Mac.
- Now go to system preferences and in here open the Time machine application.
- In the left side of time machine, there will be a switch, which will be turned off. Click on this switch and turn it on.
- In the time machine application, an option labeled “select backup disk” can be seen. Click on it and choose the external hard drive as the backup disk.
- A message will open, which will state that whether you want to choose this drive as your backup disk. Select the yes option.
- You need to make sure that the external hard drive is completely empty because the time machine application would reformat it.
- Once the drive has been reformatted, time machine will start to back up your data.
- Once the backup has been completed, open up the Mac app store.
- Here Search for High Sierra in the search bar and download this application.
- Once the application has been installed, it can be seen by the name of MacOS high sierra in the applications folder. It should be noted that this application opens up automatically once it is installed, so make sure to close it.
- Now click on the link given: Download
- This link will install the High sierra installer in your Mac.
- Once the installer has been downloaded, plug in the USB in your Mac.
- In this USB, place the high sierra installer file.
- You should empty up the USB drive because MacOS will reformat it.
- Once the USB drive has been reformatted, change the name of the USB to “High sierra”.
Install the High Sierra installer with Terminal
- Once the high sierra installer file has been placed in the USB, open up the terminal application in order to create a boot disk.
- If you have unplugged the USB in which the High Sierra installer is placed, plug it back into your Mac.
- Once the terminal application has been opened, enter the following commands in its console: sudo /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/HighSierra
- Once you have entered this command, you will be asked to enter your username and password.
- After you have entered these details, a warning message will appear stating that all the contents of this drive will be deleted. Enter Y to confirm this statement.
- Now the terminal would delete the contents of your USB.
- You will now be asked that if you want to the bootable High Sierra USB drive for your backups. Choose the “Don’t use “option and terminal will copy the installer to the drive in which High sierra is saved.
- When the installation process has been completed, close the terminal application.
Installation of MacOS.
- Once the bootable High sierra installer has been created, you will be required to install MacOS.
- Before starting the process of Installing MacOS, you should create a Backup of all the files stored on your Mac, as in this installation process, all the contents on your Main drive will be deleted.
- To begin the installation process, you would need to open up system preferences.
- In here, look for startup disk and once it is found, open it.
- In startup disk, you will be required to choose an installer. Choose the High sierra installer file.
- Now you would need to restart your Mac.
- As soon as your Mac turns back on, press the command and R key. This will load your Mac in recovery mode.
- Now plug in the USB in which the High sierra installer file has been stored.
- After some seconds, a MacOS utility screen will open. In here you need to press on ‘ Reinstall a new copy of MacOS’s and hit the continue button.
- Now a terms and conditions page will be opened before you. Read these and then press Agree.
- Now you will need to choose your Mac’s main drive. Click on it and press install.
- Now the installation process of the MacOS High Sierra will begin and after some time a New MacOS will be installed in your Mac.
An alternative method for installation MacOS high sierra
This method will be much safer than the above method, but you will be required to divide your Mac’s main drive into several partitions or you would need to have an external hard drive.
Another benefit of installing High Sierra MacOS through this method is that none of your data will be erased from your Main drive because the high sierra MacOS will be installed in the external hard drive.
Create Bootable High Sierra Drive
You need to follow a simple procedure in order to attain MacOS high sierra via this method:
Create Bootable High Sierra Usb Windows
- Open up disk utility on your Mac.
- Here, select the external drive as the disk on which you want to install the MacOS High sierra.
- Once you have chosen this file, a window will pop up.
- In this window, press on the erase option.
- Now go to the Mac app store and install high sierra from here.
- Once this application has been installed, download its installer from this link: Download
- When the installer has been downloaded, open it.
- In the installer, look for a tab labelled “show all disks”. When you find this tab, click on it.
- Now choose the external drive as the destination for storing this installer.
- The last step is to follow all the instructions in the installation guide of the installer so that you can install MacOS High sierra on your Mac.